Brigham Young University

While Garry was on his mission, I finished my classes at Ricks College and transferred to Brigham Young University in 1958. 
(Nada and Jennie at B.Y.U. 1958)
While at B.Y.U., I worked as a secretary for the department of music, and was a visiting teacher and tithing secretary for my ward. 
(Nada 1958)
In April 1958 I was able to return to Rexburg to do my student teaching under the wonderful example of Genevieve Saurey, my first grade teacher. She was everything and more than I ever remember her being. I loved her gentle ways, and I loved teaching school.
(Shomrah Kiyell Friends)
At B.Y.U. I joined a club called Shomrah Kiyell. It was a group of 50 girls waiting for missionaries. I was an officer the second year. It was a wonderful experience. We went to the temple together once a month.
(Shomrah Kiyell Friends)
I graduated from Brigham Young University in June 1959 with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education.
(B.Y.U. Roommates: Sara Lee Heilson and Marilyn Hamilton)
(Dad, Nada, Mom, and Dan 1959)
After graduation I went back to Rexburg and began the first summer Kindergarten in the Madison School District. My roommate, Marilyn Hamilton, was my assistant. 
My folks suggested I take my summer school wages and sign up to go to New York with the B.Y.U. tour and participate in the Hill Cumorah Pageant (since my dad and Ruth had been there on their missions). So Marilyn and I went!
We spent two weeks in August participating in the pageant, and it was a glorious experience. I even called my missionary on the way home, as he was in Kansas City and only miles from our bus route.
I came back from the pageant and went to Logan to interview for my first full-year teaching job. I was hired to teach 2nd and 3rd grade at College Young School outside of Logan. How excited I was to finally have my own full-time classroom!
(Mary Jensen's home in Logan)
I rented an apartment from Mary Jensen (my roommate's aunt) and got into the ward activities. I was very busy teaching and planning for my missionary's return in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment