My Siblings

(Hemsley Family 1945)
Mom and Dad always called us their five "June Bugs," as we were all born in June: Ellis (June 3), Beth (June 5), Nada (June 16), Dan (June 17), and Ruth (June 23).
As I mentioned, my sisters and brother were much older than I. Beth, 12 years older, seemed like my second mom.
(Ruth and Beth)
When Grandma Silvester was so sick, before she died of cancer, Beth and Ruth carried on with the garden, canning, and meals, while mom was in Rexburg with Grandma Silvester.
(Ruth Hemsley)
Ruth was so great at entertaining us. Because she only had the use of one hand, she read a lot to us, and would retell so many stories to Dan and I.
She was the peacemaker of the family. Ruth taught me a lot about relationships with other people. She was very sensitive to others, and seemed to know every answer.
Ruth inspired in me a love of reading. Before she left on her mission, she gave me the book "Editha's Burglar" (1888).
She had found it in a used book store, and I treasured this book all my life. The pictures were old fashioned, and I love old things. Ruth always wrote me letters from her mission, which I still have today. She was so good to me.
Ellis was either working with Dad on the farm, or building pens for his animals. It seemed he always came up with new things to build. He also liked to train animals. He had a horse, Trigger, that he trained to do tricks. He had Trigger bow to everyone who came to see us.
Beth was a super homemaker, and taught me so many things. Whenever I had a question, I called Beth. She always sounded so happy that I would ask her my many questions. She was always so willing to stop anything and sit and visit with me. 
Her talent for canning and sewing always amazed me. Not a lot rubbed off on me, but I was never afraid to try, as Beth and Mom were always a telephone call away. 
I visited Beth and Reed often while they lived in Rexburg, after they were married. Then they moved to Wilford. While there, one day they asked me to go across the road and get a gallon of milk from the neighbor. I was a scared-y-cat, so Reed let me take his pocket knife in my pocket to protect me from the scary ghosts and goblins. After that, I never feared going to the neighbors.
As a pre-teen, Dan was busy mowing lawns for us and neighbors. Before automatic pin-setters at the bowling ally, Dan used to send the bowling ball back to the player, then set the pins back up so they could play again. He was an excellent baseball pitcher in high school! So between baseball, ️and the bowling job, and lawn jobs, I didn't see him much. We got along well, as we were the only ones home after Ruth and Ellis were on their missions and Beth was married and lived in Colorado.
(Hemsley Family 1960)
I had such intelligent sisters and family members. They encouraged me and never let me feel I had a bad idea. I always received encouragement and praise from them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment