Family Vacations

I can remember a few trips while growing up, mostly after the war was over. One of the trips was taken to Lava Hot Springs, located about 50 miles southeast of Pocatello. We had never stayed in a Motel, so we packed up and drove hours to get there, as 40-50 mph was going fast. We took our own food, bedding, and dishes for 3 whole days of swimming and hiking. What fun to go on my first trip!
As soon as we got there, I wanted to go on a hike. So Dad and I started out. He showed me so many wild flowers.
Among them were the Indian Paint Brushes, a bright orange flower growing on the mountain side by the hot springs. Then we came back to get acquainted with others in the camp.
One neighbor had a guinea pig. It was the first one I had ever seen, and Dad told me I could have a nickel if I picked it up by the tail. It took me a long time to get the nerve to get close to it, but I couldn't find the tail.
(You see, guinea pigs don't have tails, so I never earned a nickel).
Dad had a good laugh.
(Nada at Yellowstone 1947)
Another trip was to Yellowstone and Jenny's Lake. My mom always said, "Let's go up to 'my' lake." (60 miles north of Plano). Since it was called Jenny's Lake, I always knew my mom was famous enough to have a lake named after her. Truth of the matter was the lake had been there hundreds of years before mom.
(First trip to Jenny's Lake 1939: Written by Jennie Hemsley in Nada's Baby Book)
We often took Aunt Zelda, Uncle Whitie, and their family with us, or any of Dad's siblings (he had 10 of them). Whenever we went, we took bread to feed the bears. At the time, there wasn't a restriction about feeding the bears.
(Nada and Dan 1948)
The next trip was on a train! Mom, Dad, Dan and I went to Colorado to see Beth, Reed, and their family. It was very exciting! We left in the evening, and Dan and I tried to sleep in our seats, while Mom and Dad cat-napped, leaning back.
When morning came, Mom asked Dan how he rested. Dan said, "I should feel real good, as I woke up and went back to sleep enough times." A cute remark for a six-year-old.
(Dan, Nancy, and Nada at "Tiny Town")
We went into Denver to "Tiny Town." It was a whole town with miniature houses, chapel, school, and stores. I remember we felt like giants, peering in the little windows. Only Nancy could fit through the doors. We also went and visited Buffalo Bill's grave and the big Denver Zoo. We had such a fun week!
(Buffalo Bill's grave with Nada, Nancy, Mom, and Dan 1948)
My little niece, Nancy, was 2-years-old and Carol was a baby. They were both so cute, and I remember how much we hated to go home and leave them all.
(Nada & Nancy)
(Beth, Reed, Nancy, Dan, Nada, Ruth)
In 1949 we had the worst winter ever! The snow level was above the telephone wires! We had to tunnel out of the house to the barn. The milk cows, horses, and pigs had to huddle in the barn until Dad and Ellis could tunnel them out after the big storm! We were snowed in for three weeks!
My mom kept us all busy cutting quilt blocks to make quilts. We played games, read books, and grew very restless! Dad sure worried about the animals. Many died that winter.
On sunny winter days my little brother Dan would dress warm and go out and play in the snow! We built many snowmen and walked on top of the buried telephone wires. 
(Nada and Dan on top of the telephone wires)
We were sure glad to get back to school... after spending three weeks inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment