High School Days

It was an exciting year for me as I began high school in 1952. I had gone to Sugar Salem High for one year before we moved to Rexburg, so I had to transfer schools. It was hard for me, but it was an adventure to meet new friends, and very exciting to walk a block to Madison High, where my dad was the custodian.
(Madison High School)
I also met many new friends in St. Anthony, as Ruth would invite me up on weekends. She treated me like a queen and made me feel so important.
(Ruth, Nada, and Dan)
I received my first church calling as the 10-year-old "Gay Note" teacher in Primary. How I loved those girls! 
(Nada 1954)
(Nada in front of her Rexburg home)
My high school days were full of many activities. I was the secretary of the choir, student director of plays and musicals, in the Pepper Club, and the Thespian (Drama) Club.
(Nada and the Thespian Club)
After school I had a nanny job. Every night for two hours I would go to the Beattie home and was greeted by five little people under 6! After we played a few games, I would get them all bathed and in their pajamas, then read stories until their Mom would call them for dinner. I would then get my homework done after I checked in and told my Mom about school.
(Jennie Hemsley 1954)
Mom started working at J.C. Penny in the sewing department and got home at 6:00, same as I did. So I would do homework while she got dinner. Then Dan and I would do dishes. Dan would help my Dad after school, as Dad was the Madison High School Custodian. If he went to work early, I always did dishes, as there were no automatic dishwashers.
I had many friends and loved the styles of the 50's: full skirts with many petticoats, saddle shoes, pony tails, and neck scarves. I enjoyed the school dances and Proms. We usually did group dating and had great friendships. We rented the basement of our home to college boys, which was exciting because they were like big brothers. I don't remember ever missing a prom. If a high school friend didn't ask me, one of my "big brothers" would take me.
My Grandpa Silvester had been living with Aunt Zelda for 10 years after Grandma passed away. He always carried half of a sandwich home for us grandkids to eat, after walking five miles from working at the Rexburg Cemetery. He passed away in 1954. I sure loved him. I especially loved hearing him play his harmonica.
(Nada 1955)
My Junior year was exciting, as I worked in the potato fields for Lee White and gave all my earnings ($50) to Dad. He then matched my $50 and bought our first television! It was black and white picture with a green-toned screen, but how exciting it was to watch "I Love Lucy" and "Lawrence Welk" on our new T.V.
In June, Ruth met and married Laurn Beutler. I was busy being a bridesmaid and serving in the kitchen. It was so exciting to have a nice home to have their reception there.
(Ruth 1955)
(Ruth and Laurn Beutler: June 1955)
(Jennie, Beth, Ruth, and Nada)

No comments:

Post a Comment