June 16, 1938

I entered this glorious world on June 16, 1938. I was the first child from this great family to be born outside the home at the Middleton Maternity Home in Rexburg, Idaho. My parents were Jennie and Job Hemsley.
This entry was from my Mother's journal:
"On June 16, 1938, our home was blessed with another darling girl. Nada was born in the Middleton's Maternity Home in Rexburg."
(Middleton Maternity Home)
"That morning we picked a big picking of strawberries and I canned them before going to Rexburg with Lila Perrenoud, who took us to town about noon. We had no car at this time. We were glad to have good relatives. Nada was born at 8 p.m., just as the sun was going down. We bought her a little black buggy to sleep in. No child got more loving than she, after 8 years without a baby. She was so good natured and lovable."
(Ellis, Beth, and Ruth)
I was welcomed by two sisters and a brother - Beth (12 years), Ruth (10 years), and Ellis (8 years). My arrival brought much excitement, as there hadn't been a baby since Ellis was born 8 years before.
My sisters spoiled me, as did my brother, even though he didn't want to look at me for days. He had ordered a brother, and it wasn't until mother started to cry that he would go over to the crib and steal a peek.
He warmed up quickly after that peek, and has spoiled me ever since. I remember when he was in 3rd grade he made me a doll dress, which I still have to this day. His little stitches show up to remind me how much he cared.
Ellis was confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints the day I was given my name and blessing on August 7, 1938.
All of my family wanted me to have a different name, so they put the names "Elda, Nada, Dot, Annette, and Jean" on slips of paper and let me draw one out of a hat. My little hand picked up two papers and then one dropped. The name "Nada" was stuck between my fingers.
When I was 3 months old, they took me to the county fair in Blackfoot, Idaho. Some Indians wanted to trade a beautiful blanket for me. I'm so glad my Mom replied, "Sorry, no trade." Because of my blue eyes, brunette curls, and smile, I charmed many.
(Jennie and Nada 1938)
When I was a year old, my parents took me to Rexburg (a long ten miles southeast of Plano) where I had my first professional picture taken at Anderson Photo. No one could get me to smile, so my Dad handed me a silver dollar to hold, and I smiled all over. He told me that was a mistake, as a dollar has brightened my day ever since.
(Nada's First Birthday 1939)
For my first birthday I received blue shoes (which I loved to dance on the table with), a little knit dress, and many other toys.
(Pages from Nada's Baby Book: Written by Jennie Hemsley 1939)

No comments:

Post a Comment