Leaving The Farm

(Hemsley Family 1950)
1950 must have been a hard year for my parents. Dad sold the 40 acre farm in Plano to Moroni Steel for $20,000. Dad had been Bishop Steel's counselor in the bishopric for many years. After he sold the farm, my sister Ruth and my brother Ellis could then go on their missions.
I received my patriarchal blessing on May 16, 1950 just before I turned 12. It was given to me by our good friend and neighbor, Ernest Blaser. There was a very special spirit in their home. I helped Sister Blaser doing house cleaning, and my parents had a very close relationship with their family.
After I turned 12 in June of 1950, I graduated from Primary and went to Mutual with my big brother Ellis. Afterward, he took me to Evan's Ice Cream Parlor in Rexburg and bought me my first banana split. I felt like a queen. Ellis always made me feel very special.
(Ruth and Ellis Hemsley)
Ruth and Ellis both left on their missions in 1950. Ruth went to the Eastern States (the same mission where my father served), and Ellis served in the Central States. My parents always said we had double blessings throughout those years.
(Nada's long hair)
Before I turned 13 I had let my hair grow long like my Grandma Silvester, who had long hair that was below her fingertips. Most every time I would get to stay overnight, she would let me brush it. Then I thought I would look more like a teenager if I cut it short. But when I got it cut and looked in the mirror, I was so unhappy and cried buckets of tears.
(Job and Jennie Hemsley 1950)
We moved into a small two bedroom house near the Edmunds School, where dad was hired as a custodian, and mom was hired as the first cook to serve hot lunches at the school. She started out with just soup and sandwiches and milk, then a year later the District hired another assistant and they started to serve a variety of meals. She cooked on a coal stove with only one hot plate. I was in the 6th grade and Dan was in 2nd grade.
(Nada and Dan 1950)
(Nada 7th Grade 1951)
In 8th grade there were two boys and six girls in our class. 
All six of us girls wanted to be cheerleaders, so we all made green skirts with white blouses. Three would lead a cheer, then the other three would take a turn. 
(Nada 8th Grade Cheerleader 1952)
We all got along great! The two boys had to play with younger boys.
(Nada and her friends 1952)
(Nada next to Edmunds School 1952)
(Nada 8th Grade Graduation 1952)
After Ruth and Ellis came home from their missions in 1952, we bought two houses in Rexburg for $30,000. The first home on 71 S. 1st W. had running water, our first indoor bathroom with a tub, an electric washer and dryer, and an electric kitchen stove. I even got my own bedroom. It also had a swing on the front porch that would hold four kids or three adults! We thought we were in real style!
(Hemsley Family 1952)
The second home dad purchased was across the street on 50 S. 1st W. and was used as a rental property for 20 years. Then mom and dad moved into it and sold the first home to finance their three missions.
When Ellis returned from his mission, he joined the service and married Sharon Bird. Ruth started teaching 6th grade in St. Anthony.
(Ruth 1952)

No comments:

Post a Comment