Marriage and Family

(Garry Bowen 1959)
The day of Garry's mission homecoming finally came, and I took a bus from Logan to Salt Lake and met him at the train depot. I called his name before he looked through the crowd and recognized me. What a glorious reunion!
We traveled up to Rexburg and spent Thanksgiving with my family, after greeting his folks in Logan on our way home. They were on their way to spend Thanksgiving with Milo and Evelyn in Provo. Since we had been engaged for three years, we decided to get married in December so Garry could begin his schooling in January. It was a busy three weeks, but we were finally married in the Idaho Falls Temple on December 18, 1959.
(Leaving Rexburg on December 18, 1959)
We left Rexburg and drove to the Idaho Falls Temple early in the morning. It was a beautiful ceremony!
(December 18, 1959)
President Albert Choreles married us, and Garry's brother Milo Bowen and cousin Keith Buxton were the witnesses.
We had our wedding dinner at La Barrens, and then it was time for the wedding reception! My sister-in-law, Evelyn, made my wedding dress.
(Nada's wedding dress)
We had a beautiful Christmas wedding reception held in the Rexburg 5th Ward. The decorations were red and white, with big 12 foot Christmas trees covered in red lights and angel hair. My bouquet was made with red carnations mingled with red bulbs and holly.
(Garry and Nada Bowen)
Aunt Beulah made our wedding cake surrounded with red poinsettias. 
(Wedding Cake)
(Wedding Reception)
We stayed in Idaho Falls the first night, then went back to Driggs on Saturday the 19th and had a reception and wedding dance at the little Bates Ward church.
(Wedding Reception)
On Sunday we headed back to Logan, as my students were waiting to greet me the next day. I held my wedding cake on my lap all the way home to show them and let them have a piece. I had left my little second grade class as "Miss Hemsley" on December 17th, and came back on the 21st as "Mrs. Bowen."
(Mrs. Nada Bowen)
We continued living in Mary Jensen's apartment while I taught at College Young until March. Then a big wind storm came through and blew the roof off the school house. My parents were there to help me pack up what we could salvage, and they moved us to Welksville School. I was given a new 3rd and 4th grade class. It was so sad to have all my students divided up in new classes and given a new group.
After 2 months of adjusting (while expecting our first baby), the principal asked our class to present the 'Maypole Dance' for the closing Spring Festival. After making it through my first year of teaching (trauma), my sweet husband took me on our long awaited Honeymoon to Las Vegas (as my cousin Ellen had invited us down for a visit).
We stayed in St. George, and while crossing the desert our car broke down, so we had to be hauled to the nearest town to get it fixed. Needless to say, I was glad to get back to our little apartment and enjoy the rest of our summer. It was the first summer I had free for 4 years. I enjoyed reading and preparing for our first son, Kim LeGrand Bowen, to be born on September 20, 1960.
(Kim LeGrand Bowen 1960)
(Nada and Kim 1960)
(Garry, Nada, and Kim 1960)
We were so excited, and loved our little boy. He was so alert and such a happy baby. In October, Garry got a job as office manager for married housing at Utah State, so we moved into campus housing. I loved staying home with Kim while babysitting for my neighbor.
(Nada and Kim 1961)
(Garry and Kim 1961)
Soon we were expecting again, and welcomed our baby girl, Pamela, on November 4, 1961.
(Pamela Bowen 1961)
How beautiful she was, with dark hair like her dad's. I was called to be Primary President of our college ward that year. It was quite a job, with two babies 13 months apart, but a great experience.
(Kim and Pam 1961)

No comments:

Post a Comment